What is RTSP
Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) is a standard network protocol designed to establish and control media sessions between endpoints. Due to hardware limitation, RTSP could only be achieved as a separate firmware version for both Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan.
Support for RTSP
We don't have the resources to keep developing two branches of firmware for Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan. This means that the RTSP branch will be upgraded infrequently.
The currently available firmware is an updated beta version. This contains improvements over the prior version but still has the potential to include minor stability issues. Once we're in a position where we can confidently say that any present issues have been fixed, we'll push out a release version of the firmware.
How to set up RTSP
How to install the RTSP Firmware:
- Download the Wyze Cam v2 RTSP file, or the Wyze Cam Pan RTSP file
- Unzip the file, rename the contents to 'demo.bin', and transfer them to a microSD card's root directory
- Unplug your Wyze Cam and insert the prepared microSD card
- Hold the camera's Setup button while plugging in the USB cable and continue to hold the Setup button until the light turns solid blue
- Once the light is solid blue, release the Setup button and wait for 3-4 minutes. The camera will reboot and the status light will change during this time.
- Note: The "Solid Blue" in this case is not the same as the one normally seen on the camera. Instead, both the blue and yellow LEDs will be on at once, making it appear to be a lighter blue.
- Once this process is finished, you should see the Wyze Cam in your Home tab without going through the setup process as long as it was previously paired with your account.
How to start using RTSP:
- Once your Wyze Cam is back online, you can access the RTSP function from the live stream (Wyze app version 2.3 or later) under Settings -> Advanced Settings -> RTSP
- The app will automatically check if the installed firmware version is RTSP compatible. If not, please repeat the installation process above.
- Next, turn on the RTSP toggle
- You'll be prompted to set up a username and password for this Wyze Cam. Both the username and password should be 4 – 10 characters without special characters (only a-z, and 0-9)
- PLEASE NOTE - This username and password is unique to just this camera. Please either use something that's easy to remember or take note of them somewhere, as these will be needed to access the camera's stream via RTSP
- Click “Generate URL”, and the RTSP URL will show on the next screen. Use this for streaming through any RTSP compatible player on the same local network as the Wyze Cam.
Have you have installed RTSP files from this page previously and are running into any of the following issues?
- Delay: Video from RTSP is more than 4 seconds behind the Live Stream in the Wyze app
- Frame skip: Video is not smooth and appears to jump every few seconds
- Connection: Video drops after a while and rebooting (or turning RTSP off and back on) is required to restore the connection.
If so, please help to test the following firmware.
We introduced several changes to address the above issues. However, if you were not experiencing any of those issues with the previous version you should stay with the one you currently have installed as it may be more stable for you.
This firmware is still in beta testing. We will release the formal version later after thorough testing.