Person Detection is an optional free service that works with Wyze Cam's Motion Detection feature to identify if there is a person in a Motion Event video clip. This allows you to change your notification settings to only notify you when there is a person in a motion event video clip or filter your event videos to only see event videos where a person has been detected.
Wyze's Person Detection works by utilizing Edge AI code built into Wyze Cam's firmware. Wyze's Edge AI is powered by Xnor.ai, and utilizes a machine-learning algorithm to determine whether frames within a motion event video clip contain a person. Since Edge AI operates from Wyze Cam's firmware, there is no communication with the cloud in terms of determining whether a person is present.
The firmware code associated with AI will be dormant by default, and will not become active unless you activate the service. Should you try it out and decide it's not for you, simply turn the service back off, and the AI's code will go back to being inactive.
We will continue to iterate on the AI's accuracy over time but by default, Wyze does not use customer data to train or improve the AI model. Users that would like to help Wyze improve the accuracy of the AI model have the option of sharing their videos as feedback directly to Wyze.
Supported Wyze Products: Wyze Cam v2, Wyze Cam Pan
Unsupported Wyze Products: Wyze Cam v1
Enabling Person Detection
- Open the Wyze app
- Go to the Account tab
- Tap Wyze Service
- Tap Person Detection
- Tap Get Started at the bottom of the page
- The list that comes up will show any supported cameras on your account. You may need to upgrade some of your cameras to the latest firmware before you can enable person detection. Toggle the slider next to each camera that you want Person Detection enabled with to on
- Tap Enable at the bottom of the page
- Tap Get it Now if you choose to only get notifications when a person is detected. Sound, CO alarm and smoke alarm notifications won't be affected by this setting. Tap Get Later in Notification Settings to skip this step and your notification settings will remain the same.
- Select cameras that you want to enable person only notifications. If you also want to get notified when non-person detected motion events happen, toggle All Other Motion on in Notification settings.
Since Person Detection relies on the camera having Motion Detection turned on, please follow the instructions below to turn on motion detection.
- Open the Wyze app
- Navigate to any camera you want to have the Person Detection active
- Tap on the icon in the top right
- Tap Event Recording
- Toggle on the slider next to Detects Motion to the On position
Provide Feedback and Help Wyze Improve the AI Accuracy
While completely optional, if you want to help us refine the Person Detection algorithm's reliability:
- Navigate to the Event tab
- Open the recording where a person was detected
- At the bottom of the page where it states, "Help us improve AI by sharing this one video with Wyze.", tap Share
- You'll be prompted with a popup that asks you to specify whether there was a person present in the recording or not and offer you a chance to Cancel the submission
*Note - Shared users do not have permission to Share the Events as feedback to Wyze regarding whether the person detection was accurate. This will not affect their ability to Share the recordings through other sources, however, such as by email or chat services.
Once Person Detection is enabled on a Wyze Cam, any Motion Detection Events recorded by that camera will show in the Events tab whether a person was identified in that recording or not. This won't affect sound events, CO alarm, smoke alarm sound events, and smart video alerts. You can tap the Person button just above the Events list to only view recordings where a person was detected.
With Person Detection active, you can choose to only receive Push Notifications when a person is detected. To enable this:
- Open the Wyze app
- Navigate to the Wyze Cam where you want to restrict the notifications
- Person Detection needs to be active on the selected camera
- Tap the icon in the top right
- Go to Notifications
- Toggle the notification settings On or Off depending on which types you'd like to receive
You can create Shortcuts for your Wyze Cam using Person Detection as a trigger. As an example, you could create a Shortcut that turns on your Wyze Bulb whenever a person is detected. To create a shortcut using person detection.
The only difference is you get an added trigger of Detects a person when Personal Detection is Enables.
Read this article on Shortcuts and Automations to learn more.
Person Detection is a filter for Motion Detection Event Videos. This means that, at this time, all Events where a person is detected are subject to the 12-second recording length as well as the 5-minute Event cooldown.
The AI algorithm was trained to handle a variety of environments, lighting conditions, camera angles, and camera mounting positions, however, the following are best practices to maximize Person Detection's accuracy.
- Ensure that the camera is upright with a clear view of the area. For best results, the camera should be mounted around head height (about 6 feet).
- The distance between the camera and the target area of interest where people will likely appear should be between 2 - 20 feet.
- Place the camera such that it maximizes the number of seconds a person is present in a 12-second interval. This ensures that we have multiple, representative samples for analysis.
- The AI algorithm is likely to recognize people by analyzing features such as faces, hands, and feet. It’s preferred to frame the camera to capture full bodies of people.
- Avoid placing the camera towards a window or screen doors as the reflections and mesh-like materials can confuse the algorithm.
- Avoid placing the camera where people are likely to be at a great distance.
- Avoid low-light conditions as it decreases the effective range of detection.
There are some situations where edge AI may incorrectly detect people. The quickest way to make sure there are no false detections is to make sure none of these are present in the Wyze Cam's field of view.
- People on a TV screen
- People reflected in the mirror
- People in the pictures
- Human statues