Person Detection is an optional service that works with Wyze Cam's Motion Detection feature to identify if there is a person in a motion-triggered event video. This allows you to set your notifications to only notify you when a person has been detected, not any and all motion.
Supported Wyze Products: Wyze Cam v1, Wyze Cam v2, Wyze Cam Pan, and Wyze Cam Outdoor.
Enabling Person Detection
- In the Wyze app, tap Account > Subscriptions.
- Tap Person Detection, then Get Started.
- Toggle the slider next to each camera you want Person Detection enabled on.
- This list will show any supported cameras on your account.
- Tap Enable, then Next to choose your notification preferences.
- Tap the checkmark next to each camera you want to enable person only notifications on.
- Sound, CO alarm and smoke alarm notifications won't be affected by this setting.
- Tap the checkmark next to the camera(s) you want only Person Detection notifications on.
- Tap Cancel to skip this step.
- Tap Confirm when finished.
Since Person Detection relies on the camera having Motion Detection enabled, use the steps below to turn on motion detection.
- In the Wyze app, tap on any camera you want Person Detection on.
- Tap on the Settings icon in the top right.
- Tap Event Recording.
- Toggle on the slider next to Detects Motion On .
Help Wyze Improve Person Detection
While completely optional, you can help us refine the Person Detection algorithm by submitting your event videos to our Person Detection team.
To submit an event video:
- In the Wyze app, tap Events.
- Open an event video tagged Person.
- Next to "Submit this video to Wyze to help research." tap OK.
- If you decide to submit a recording to us, that event video will be manually reviewed for accuracy and will only be used for improving our AI.
- Shared users do not have permission to submit event videos as feedback to Wyze. This will not affect their ability to Share the recordings through other sources, however, such as by email or chat services.
Once Person Detection is enabled on a Wyze Cam, any Motion Detection Events recorded by that camera will show in the Events tab. This won't affect sound events, CO alarm, smoke alarm sound events, and smart video alerts. You can tap the Person label above the Events list to only view event video where a person was detected.
With Person Detection active, you can choose to only receive Push Notifications when a person is detected.
To enabled Person Notifications:
- In the Wyze app, tap Home.
- Tap on the Wyze Cam that you want to change notifications on.
- Tap the Settings icon in the top right, then Notifications.
- Next to Person, toggle the notification setting On .
You can create Shortcuts for your Wyze Cam using Person Detection as a trigger. As an example, you could create a shortcut that turns on your Wyze Bulb whenever a person is detected.
The only difference is you get an added trigger of Detects a person when Person Detection is enabled.
Read this article on Shortcuts and Automations to learn more.
Person Detection is a filter for Motion Detection Event Videos. This means that all event videos where a person is detected are limited to 12 seconds in length, and the 5 minute cooldown period.
The AI algorithm was trained to handle a variety of environments, lighting conditions, camera angles, and camera mounting positions. However, the following are best practices to maximize Person Detection's accuracy.
- Ensure that the camera is upright with a clear view of the area. For best results, the camera should be mounted around head height (about 6 feet).
- The distance between the camera and the target area of interest where people will likely appear should be between 2 - 20 feet.
- Place the camera such that it maximizes the number of seconds a person is present in a 12-second interval. This ensures that we have multiple, representative samples for analysis.
- The AI algorithm is likely to recognize people by analyzing features such as faces, hands, and feet. It’s preferred to frame the camera to capture full bodies of people.
- Avoid placing the camera towards a window or screen doors as the reflections and mesh-like materials can confuse the algorithm.
- Avoid placing the camera where people are likely to be at a great distance.
- Avoid low-light conditions as it decreases the effective range of detection.
There are some situations where edge AI may incorrectly detect people. The easiest way to make sure there are no false positives is to check that none of these are in the Wyze Cam's field of view.
- People on a TV screen
- People reflected in a mirror
- People in photographs or artwork
- Human statues