Wyze Plug can be integrated with Amazon Alexa to let you control your lights. That includes the Echo Show, Echo Spot, Fire TV, and more.
How Does it Work?
To set this up, we have created the Wyze Skill. When you add the Wyze Skill to your Amazon device, you can then use voice commands with your Wyze Plug.
Since Wyze skill is owned by Wyze, all your password and account information is never shared with Amazon and is only viewable through the secure Wyze app.
Connecting Amazon Alexa
Follow these steps to connect with Amazon Alexa.
- Tell Alexa to “Enable Wyze skill”. Or you can download and use the Alexa app or go to alexa.amazon.com to search for and enable the Wyze skill.
- Once enabled, follow the on-screen instructions to link your Wyze account to Alexa. You will be prompted to enter your Wyze username and password to authorize Alexa to access your Plug.
- Select Add Device so that Alexa can find your Wyze Plug. You can also say, “Discover my devices”. After Alexa finds your Plug, it’s listed under Devices in the Smart Home section of the Alexa app.
To disconnect your Plug from Alexa, open the Alexa app or alexa.amazon.com and go to the menu and select Smart Home. In the Devices tab, tap your Plug then use the options to delete or disable your Plug.
If you need further help, Amazon has additional instructions here.
Once your Plug is connected to your Amazon device, you can use different voice commands to control your lighting.
You can use a voice command to turn on or off a specific Plug.
- "Alexa, turn (plug name) off."
- "Alexa, turn (plug name) on."
Editing Your Wyze Plug Name
When working with Alexa, you might realize your Plug name “Omicron Persei 8” is hard for Alexa to hear properly. There are a few ways you can change your Plug's name to make things easier.
The first option would be to change the name of your Plug through the Wyze app. To do this, go to the device you want to rename from the Home Tab of the Wyze app. Then press the Settings icon in the top right. The first option is Name. Press that and edit the name.
If you rename your Plug in the Wyze app, you will need to have your Amazon device rediscover your Plug in order for the new name to be reflected in the Alexa app. To do this in the Alexa app or alexa.amazon.com, go to the menu and select Smart Home. In the Devices tab, tap Add Device. Alexa will discover devices, but your new Plug name will be reflected when you view your devices.
The second option is to keep your Plug's name the same on the Wyze app while changing the name you call to reference it for Alexa.
You can modify the plug's name in the Alexa app or alexa.amazon.com by tapping on Wyze Plug within the Smart Home section of the Alexa app then tapping Edit name. This will not update your Plug's name in the Wyze app.
- The Wyze skill works with all Plugs that are connected to your Wyze account, including plugs shared by other Wyze users.
- Assign your plug an easily pronounceable name, such as “Garage” or “Living Room”.
- If your plug is turned off using the light switch, Alexa won’t be able to access your Plug.